Thursday, March 17, 2011

All By Myself, Don't Wanna Be...

Well, at least for the week. Hubby is living it up in San Fransisco for the week (actually, he's giving a talk and working on some collaborations, but that doesn't stop me from razzing him about his "vacation"). Wiggle and I do fairly well on our own, but when we lock horns, they often stay locked for awhile. It's amazing to see your own bad behaviors in your two-year-old, and yet it somehow doesn't make it any easier to stop doing them myself. When we disagree, we both dig our heels in and try to wait the other one out. Sometimes that can be a loooonnnng time. Basically, we both sit with our arms crossed and our lower lips jutting out and glare at each other until the other one gives in. But which one of us is usually "the other one?" Generally, it's him because I'm the adult, but sometimes it's me because I realize that I need to calm down and take a deep breath and try another tactic; I mean staring and glaring only gets you so far. We also each retreat to our own rooms when things get heated. I really love and need my quiet time and so does he.

This is not how we spend the majority of our time by any means, but a lengthy encounter in the morning can feel like it took all morning when in actuality it was probably only 15 minutes.

We've actually been having a lot of fun in C's absence. Today, we went to music class, played in mud at the playground, kicked the soccer ball around with some older boys, played play-doh on the back porch, and took a walk on campus. Then we had a 30 minute time out session about him almost locking me out on the porch, then dinner, then a bath, some snuggling in mommy's bed and he was out like a light.

Also, I have a new love. Amazon Prime. I got a free subscription for signing up for Amazon Mom and now I get free two-day shipping on everything. In the past that would not have seemed like such a plus, but being able to save an extra trip out for an annoying item like a new inner tube for my jogging stroller is a godsend. Next I might try buying my groceries online. I'm not quite there yet, but I could get there. Right now, it doesn't seem economical since I started using Mint.com a few months ago, and can now confront the staggering amount of money we spend on food every month. It literally left me speechless when I first saw the figures. Now, I have been watching every grocery store trip like it's a major investment. Not fun, and it hasn't been long enough to really pay off yet, but it does help make me feel like we could handle a mortgage payment in the near future.

And now for the good stuff.


3 comments:

  1. How could you ever get upset with that face. He is so handsome. He sure is the joy of my life. I miss him sooooooooooo much.
    Glad you are having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is SO cute!

    Re the groceries...there's an Aldi's in Manassas; a gallon of 2% milk at Aldi's on Preston is $1.13! They don't have everything, but they're worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most handsome boy in town. What a joy! I miss him sooooooooooo much.

    ReplyDelete