Sunday, October 3, 2010

A Perfect Fall Day


We woke up verrry late this morning due to multiple awakenings during the night. Wiggle is cutting his two-year molars which has meant some extra clinginess and more than a few less than restful nights. When we finally got going, we went to the Fall for Fairfax Festival. It turned out to be a lot of health-related booths, some pay rides which were geared for older kids, and A LOT of firetrucks. The firetrucks were all lined up in a row and you could get in them and explore. As you can see above, we went in one of the hazmat trucks. The inside looked like an office; there were books on shelves, a few computers, a large flat-screen tv on the wall, a printer, file drawers. I guess it makes sense because each hazmat situation is probably unique in a lot of ways, so the most important part of handling it, is research, research, research. Wiggle mainly liked all the buttons he could press and the headphones.

Wiggle also liked the ambulance, but it might have had something to do with the cute EMT sitting in the back.

Wiggle pointing to the next firetruck he wants to see.
Me and Wiggle enjoying the sunny day.
We're thinking about becoming a crime fighting duo. (I would be the sidekick, obviously.)
This stylish boy is on the move.
My two handsome boys sporting their cool fall jackets.

Look at that face!
After a quick trip to Costco, we came home and Wiggle took a much needed nap. Then he got up and wanted to go to the playground to play with kids. We went outside and took the tricycle, but never made it to the playground because some of our neighbors were in the alley riding trikes and a play-kitchen. Wiggle just loves the 2 1/2 year old next door. He follows him around and mimics him constantly. He also has spontaneously learned his name; he doesn't even say the name of the boy we swap babysitting with, and we see him almost every day. 

When playing turned into a lot of quibbling and eye-rubbing, we brought him inside for dinner and some skyping with the grandparents. They sang some songs, he sang some songs, they danced, he danced. I think they all had a good time.

The big news.... At bath time, when his diaper was off, he went to sit on the potty and peed!!!! He pointed down too, to let me know. It was the first time. He sat sat on the potty lots of times, and we normally do it before he gets into the tub, but he has never successfully gone before. I think he has known what it's for though because sometimes when he sits on the potty, he strains a little, like he's trying to pee. I know that it could not happen again for a long time, but I still think it's pretty cool. I'm hoping this could be the beginning of potty-training. Well, this and the many other signs of elimination awareness he has been giving us. He now points or grabs his diaper when he pees a lot of the time. He also appears to hold it for longer. 

And when I read back on the last few sentences, I realized that I am now that mom. There will be tons more potty training talk on the blog to be sure, but I'm going to try to keep it to my frustrations or pride, and not the mechanics of the issue. Please forgive my earlier exuberance.

I'm hoping it's another beautiful fall day here in Eden tomorrow. Seriously, I never knew fall could be like this, and I feel a little cheated that I didn't get to experience it earlier. And the leaves are going to turn in a couple of weeks! All of the leaves on all of the many, many trees! I'm really beginning to fall in love with the East Coast.




3 comments:

  1. It sounds like the perfect fall day to me! I love the pics, and the jacket he's wearing...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks so handsome in that jacket and hat.
    Yes, the East Coast is beautiful in the autumn - try New England sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah HA! I knew you wouldn't be able to resist the allure of the East Coast! Autumn used to be my favorite season...but here it goes from hot to blistering wind. Blech.

    But, seriously, that coat is beyond amazingly ridiculously cute. I'm just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete