Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Things Are Really Cooking

Tonight I cooked dinner for the first time since we moved here. For those of you tsk-tsk-tsk-ing, let me say that I have prepared and assembled many meals, but I had not yet cooked. I looked through a cookbook today, chose a couple of recipes, went shopping, and then made dinner. We've been doing a lot of shortcuts lately, and it felt really good to have multiple pots on the stove, to chop a variety of vegetables, to smell good cooking smells. I decided on Indian food because I have wanted to introduce more ethnic food into both our eating and cooking repertoire. Plus, C really loves it, and I wanted to have a nice dinner for him when he got home. I chose chicken in a sweet red pepper sauce, potatoes, peas, and carrots, and an aromatic rice dish, all from the same cookbook. Everything was delicious and there are plenty of leftovers for tomorrow.

It felt good to cook again, to move around my kitchen; I always feel more grounded when I cook regularly.
I also have been neglecting part of my stay-at-home mom duties by not cooking. C doesn't care if I have planned dinner, but I do feel that it is quite a luxury to be able to be at home with Wiggle, and that my "job" rightly includes a good deal of cooking and cleaning. Plus, after a day of taking out and putting away blocks a million times, or vacuuming in the morning only to have cat food spilled all over in the afternoon, preparing a nice meal gives me a not-insubstantial feeling of accomplishment. And C is very appreciative, and it makes tomorrow easier in that I generally either have lunch or another dinner taken care of. It's really a win-win-win-win-win... I don't understand why everyone doesn't love cooking.

1 comment:

  1. The Indian food sounds wonderful. Mike cooked dinner for us tonight! I came home to a kitchen fragrant with the scents of garlic and tomato sauce. We walked together, and then I had a bowl of pasta...YUM! All of which is my way of saying, I'm sure that Chris is appreciative too!

    ReplyDelete